TM FEE INCREASES

Irrational behaviour and incomprehensible decisions 101 - this is the place. If they're really silly, you could win a chocolate fish.* (* Highly unlikely and they're only virtual chocolate fish)

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Mon May 31, 2010 9:41 am

I'd have to agree. As a buyer I never look at gallery listings and usually
sort either by lowest price or by latest listings.

I'm selling a few $1 reserve items at the moment and I paid for a gallery
listing on the one I thought would attract the most interest, a really cool
morse code key. That finishes tomorrow night and only has a $6 bid and
30 watchers.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =292731974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But a basic little Nokia phone (without gallery fees) now has $46 of bids
and 77 watchers.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =292925508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is a gallery good value? Not in my mind, but I'll' find out for sure
tomorrow night I guess.

marika3
Scambuster

Re: TM FEE INCREASES

Post by marika3 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:11 am

DigiDog, your nice little morse gadget is in "Antiques and Collectables - Other" category, and rightly so.
But when I went to check where in the category your listing placed for remining 22 hours, I found that of almost 4K listings in this subcategory, about half are listings for china and pottery, many of them with gallery and with feature combo. Sellers just drifted from Pottery and Glass (gallery 75c) into Antiques and Collectables (gallery 35c).
Your morse key will never make it to the first page of the category, mate. It's already occupied with plates, dishes, cups and saucers.
It would be impossible to CW every one wrongly listed item - there are hundreds of them.
http://www.oneway.co.nz/member/marika3

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:58 am

Two days ago, when I posted here, I CWed dozens of china and glass listings using gallery (35c) in Antiques->Other section. There is a category for Pottery and Glass (gallery 75c), but sellers prefer to sneak into cheaper area, clogging it for other sellers.
There is also heaps of secondhand baby items and some "vintage" clothing pretending to be antiques and collectables.

Surprise, surprise, all CWed listings are still there, except for those expired. Looks like TM do not police "wrong category" breach, and also they do not mind when people use cheaper gallery options.

dobby
Members
First Name: Dobby

Post by dobby » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:06 am

My experience with gallery differs from those posted above - both as a seller and a buyer.

I tend to use gallery a lot, as I list in a high volume area, where the competition seldom seems to use gallery. I
believe it's a differentiator for my items, and appears to generate the interest. I also use multiple photos for
the same reason.

As a buyer, my browsing style varies. If I'm looking in a high volume area, I'll often use Gallery View first,
then move to List View if I can't find what I want. I like that the photos are larger than thumbnails for
Gallery View, and I assume (rightly or wrongly) that the better quality items are more likely to have a gallery
listing. It depends, of course, on what I'm looking for.

And as my gallery fees have just reduced to $0.35 ... I'm not complaining. ;-)
Idealism increases in direct proportion to your distance from the problem.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:19 am

I'd forgotten that TM has bigger thumbnails... I'm use a GreaseMonkey
script in FireFox that reformats TM back to the older style that I like.

marika3
Scambuster

Re:

Post by marika3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 am

digidog wrote:I'd forgotten that TM has bigger thumbnails... I'm use a GreaseMonkey
script in FireFox that reformats TM back to the older style that I like.
And which shows much bigger pics than TM gallery view, when you put coursor over smaller pic. ;-)

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:43 am

On 1 July, the cost to list a job will increase from $99 to $129 (incl. GST). We are
also increasing the price of job packs, and the cost to feature a casual or job pack
listing will rise from $49 to $69 (incl. GST).
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/Site ... nt/889.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dobby
Members

Post by dobby » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:48 am

Gallery price change: Sorry!
Written by The Trade Me team in General at 10:00 am, Mon 19 Jul
Back on 26 May we introduced a Gallery price change which saw the fee for adding Gallery to a listing go up from 55c to 75c in around half of our categories, and down from 55c to 35c in the other half.

We made the change because we thought it would result in a better reflection of the value that Gallery brings in different categories, and that it would provide a better experience for both buyers and sellers on Trade Me. However, that hasn’t proved to be the case. We got it wrong and we’re sorry.

We have decided to unwind that price change and put things back the way they were. From 12:01am on Wednesday 21 July, Gallery pricing across all categories will be back to 55c (except Books and CDs which will remain unchanged at 25c).

As well as returning the pricing to 55c for everyone, we’re also saying sorry for mucking up by having a Free Gallery Day. This will be on Tuesday 20 July, kicking off at 12:01am and running through until 11:59pm. (Free Gallery will apply to all new listings, as well as Gallery upgrades to existing listings.)

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:24 pm

_

Only a single day's FREE GALLERY for their error ?

Such generosity.. ;-)

Hang on a moment, dont SELLA give FREE GALLERY & FREE SUBTITLES as a matter of course ?

NOT to mention no Commission / Success Fees elsewhere ? ;-)

M
Ultimate Auction Security: Kick 'em in the pants & sweep them under the carpet fast before anyone sees & hope they go away.

dobby
Members

Post by dobby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:19 am

Heads up: Success fees and Top Seller discount
Written by The Trade Me team in General and Top Seller at 2:46 pm, Thu 27 Jan

We wanted to give you a heads up that as of 7 February, we are making a few changes to our success fees and our Top Seller programme.

First of all, we’re increasing our Top Seller discount on all auction fees (including extras) to 15%. That’s an increase from the previous 10% discount.

We’re also including more traders in our Top Seller programme. From 7 February, you may qualify over the standard six-week period if you sell 60 or more items or $10,000 of items (the existing sell-through rate and feedback criteria still apply).

We’re also increasing our general item success fees. We last changed our fees for general items back in 2008, and since then our audience has grown by 91% and we’ve introduced a number of new site features. Remember, you only pay a success fee if your item sells.

Here’s a chart with the success fee changes marked in bold:

Please note that sellers who list an item up until 11:59pm on 6 February will be charged the current success fees, even if the item sells on or after 7 February.

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:41 am

_

Yeah right .. let's forget all the fancy frillies & just call it an 8.7% increase for all the poor unfortunates ;-)

Ever heard of hard times out there Fairfax or is it the concept too difficult to understand in the corporate suite? #-o

If the fees were reduced then the volume would compensate most might be thinking ;-)

Gotta just love that ongoing 'practice the Corporate Greed' & trying to extract more from less ;-)

Undoubtedly another avalanche of cheaper items will depart off to other fairer territories never to return ;-)

How many more of the long suffering punters will that take along with it all waving their hands in the air, screaming loudly "too much" ? ;-)

While at it, why not amend the Logo to more accurately reflect things?

How about "Trade Me - where Kiwis get e-Screwed by the Australian Media Moguls the hardest" ? ;-)

M
Ultimate Auction Security: Kick 'em in the pants & sweep them under the carpet fast before anyone sees & hope they go away.

dobby
Members

Post by dobby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 am

ionet wrote:Yeah right .. let's forget all the fancy frillies & just call it an 8.7% increase for all the poor unfortunates
In fairness, that 8.7% increase is after 2.5 years. If you spread the cost, it would be in line with CPI and LCI indexes over that
same period.

Of course, TM have applied fee increases to other areas, but there has been reinvestment in the site during this time.
ionet wrote:If the fees were reduced then the volume would compensate most might be thinking
According to the retail sector, people are spending less and either saving or paying off debt. At this time, a decrease in
fees would be unlikely to be effectively balanced by an increase in volumes.

I'm just providing perspective ... and I'm certainly not suggesting that TM isn't a highly profitable organisation. ;-)

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:11 am

_

Actually I applaud Sella for looking towards their free to sell alternative model of the hugely expensive fees extracting orange that TM fell onto, the same free model which is a similar concept to some very large Free Auction sites operating successfully in the UK

There is absolutely no justification of ever escalating fees whatsoever, if the TM site is generating the sort of results that are being hinted at which must translate into huge advertiser costs for promo's ;-)

In anyone's book, what costs have increased by 8.7% ? - you can be damned sure only the lucky have seen that in their pockets over the same period ;-)

At this rate the outfit might very soon not only discourage most normal mums & dads from buying there, restrict the range available or see further add-ons by sellers to compensate, and of course now there is limited money out there affecting volumes. ;-)

For anyone who wants the fees free link , sell your Stuff for free here --->

http://www.sella.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(and they dont practice the religion of e-Screwing their Membership over there either...)

;-)

M

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:23 am

dobby wrote:
ionet wrote:Yeah right .. let's forget all the fancy frillies & just call it an 8.7% increase for all the poor unfortunates
In fairness, that 8.7% increase is after 2.5 years. If you spread the cost, it would be in line with CPI and LCI indexes over that
same period.

Of course, TM have applied fee increases to other areas, but there has been reinvestment in the site during this time.
ionet wrote:If the fees were reduced then the volume would compensate most might be thinking
According to the retail sector, people are spending less and either saving or paying off debt. At this time, a decrease in
fees would be unlikely to be effectively balanced by an increase in volumes.

I'm just providing perspective ... and I'm certainly not suggesting that TM isn't a highly profitable organisation. ;-)

CPI increase is one thing, but what is left in people's pockets another completely different thing I would say

Retail might reflect some patterns, but Auction volumes may also be seeing different trends
perhaps uptake to compensate for what isnt flowing through retail.

Even retail is worried about online (and presumably Auction trading) that has come out recently here and in Australia very clearly in the failed mutterings of Retailer Associations in both countries

M

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:45 am

_

Lets look at recent events & culprits which may affect what's going on out there

1. Southland Storms
2. Christchurch Earthquake
3. NZ Post increasing rates 2010
4. GST Increase 30 Sep 2010
5. Trade Me fees increases

All in all each of these is bound to have some effect in the pot to what's happening out there
and that's ontop of the enduring hard times, recessionary trends, job losses, closures etc etc

M