New Auction Page Layout for some categories

Irrational behaviour and incomprehensible decisions 101 - this is the place. If they're really silly, you could win a chocolate fish.* (* Highly unlikely and they're only virtual chocolate fish)

Googlybear
Members

New Auction Page Layout for some categories

Post by Googlybear » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:49 am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/mobile-phones/ ... 252138.htm

One Word: YUCK!!

Note the tabs below the image.
You have to click the tab links to view the shipping options or Q&A ETC.
not to say anything of the childish garish colors displaying the feedback ratings at the bottom of the screen.

There is a communication email address at the top of the page in a lame attempt to convince less intelligent traders that TM admin will actually listen to what they have to say about the changes

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Re: New Auction Page Layout for some categories

Post by digidog » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:32 am

Googlybear wrote:One Word: YUCK!!
Agreed. However the page still displays normally to me. Maybe you're viewing a TM example tweak? Hopefully they won't go crazy and make all auctions look this awful.

TM's NEW 'VISUAL' LAYOUT
I have a major problem with the new layout TM are rolling out in different categories like 'Home and Living'. The default view looks like a rather tacky catalogue and takes up too much screen real estate. To make the page viewable I have to click on "List View" then (usually) "sort by lowest price". Each time I decide to open a sub-category, it doesn't inherit any of these settings and reverts back to the tacky view again. I mentioned this to TM and Graham said:
The thinking behind it is to give the category a bit of a re-vamp and make it a more visual experience for the buyer. So far the positive feedback has far out-weighed the negative but we'd be kidding ourselves if we believed we'd be able to satisfy everyone.
To me it seems like the whole site is being optimised either for mobile phones or for people who can't read and prefer looking at pictures.

When TM revamped the DVD category some time back, I stopped going there because searching became a fruitless and annoying experience. Sort by lowest price in that category and you'll find thousands of listings where the bidding starts at $1, but the reserve is a lot higher. Unless you know the exact DVD title you're looking for, browsing has become pointless so I rarely visit that category any more. Thanks, TM.

I assume that TM intend to roll out the new format site-wide eventually and I'd love to have the option of a "classic view" or something similar. Not all of us view the site on tiny phones and there's little reason to piss off tens of thousands of users, just because TM's design team thinks the new look is cool. Pretty as it may be, I'll choose a more usable site any day.

One man's "visual experience" is this buyer's usability turnoff. I'll always revert to list view - that's the way I use TM. So please... give me that as an option instead of forcing me to click endless buttons to get there every time.

Googlybear
Members

Post by Googlybear » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 am

The auctions seem to display the old way once they have closed.

Here`s a current one
http://www.trademe.co.nz/mobile-phones/ ... 003343.htm

For a Quick and nasty fix to the Home and Living gallery display... Some greasemonkey code

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name Trademe H&L Category Auto Detail
// @namespace http://ss.com
// @include http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living*
// @version 1
// ==/UserScript==

// ==UserScript==
// @name Trademe `Home & Living` Category Auto display in Detail mode
// @description Automatically changes the Trademe Home & Living Category Gallery Display to a Detailed list
// @include http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/*
// @version 1.0

/*
>> Description:
*/

// ==/UserScript==

// Auto Load Home & Living Category listings in Detail Mode

$("a#ListingsTitle_listViewTab_icon_a")[0].click(); 
copy to clipboard, click `new userscript` from greasemonkey and click the `use script from clipboard`

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 am

You're brilliant Googlybear! That code works a treat. ;-)

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 am

The list of categories stuffed up so far by TM now includes Fashion, Home & living, Toys & models, Sports, Mobile phones, Building & renovation, Electronics & photography, Gaming and Music & instruments.

I think that TM's approach to this is all wrong. They're assuming that most buyers browse categories randomly, with no real aim in mind. Thus the mishmash of products which look more like a tacky catalogue. When I'm buying I usually search for the product I have in mind, then sort by lowest price. Now I have to click on 'list view' and 'used' every time I search an area. Is the way I use TM really so unusual?

Any images displayed in their new feature layout are cropped to a 4:3 ratio - the format TV sets used many years ago. I don't know about you, but I hate 4:3 and most of my images are widescreen (roughly 16:9) these days. If you use a vertical image, TM will kindly chop off the bottom half to force it into their 4:3 standard. Thanks guys... that's smart.

I suggested that TM allow a "classic" setting for those of us who dislike their graphic-heavy layout and the endless clicks required to make searching usable again. They didn't address that suggestion, but told me that most users apparently "prefer" their new design. That sounds like "Thanks, but no thanks!" to me.

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:05 am

I do not browse "new layout" categories on TM anymore.
If I need something from there, I use eBay or other places to find and buy goods - much easier (and usually cheaper and safer).

I try to sell one item under Fashion now, and the first week it turned 0 views, the second one - 3 views and only because I asked friend of mine to have a look and ask around if somebody needs these shoes.
Nobody browses there, it seems.
With old layout any piece of clothing returned views in dozens.
http://www.oneway.co.nz/member/marika3

Googlybear
Members

Post by Googlybear » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:35 am

TM are rolling out more categories with the new `improved` layout

If you want my grease-monkey script to work with all category pages , click `Manage userscripts` from the Grease monkey menu, Right click on the scripts entry and select edit.

Edit this line
to
and then save.

I have a nasty feeling though TM will eventually remove the detail listing option leaving us only with the new mess