How to spot a fake GHD straightener

Fake copies of Microsoft Office, operating systems, memory cards and flash drives, fake designer clothing... anything of that nature. At any given time TM offers thousands of fake itmes which breach their terms & conditions... and often do little about the problem. This is the place to discuss the issue.
digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Sat May 23, 2009 10:53 pm

It's far too easy for these Chinese scammers to set up NZ domains with
false registration details. I'd like to see a law change that allows the Police
and/or the Domain Name Commissioner have the power to order these
scam sites to be pulled within hours.

Would that be workable?

rusticdog
Members

Post by rusticdog » Sun May 24, 2009 11:38 am

I emailed DNC asking on clarification of the process. ICANN has a system in place for fake WhoIs data, but for ccTLD domains they should be going through (I believe) DNC.

I expect though that process involves emailing the 'registrant' and giving a grace period for right of reply.

I setup a domain using incorrect data, received an email I think last year telling me to correct it, never did and still have the domain. So all the while the site can continue to operate. I registered that site for free using Microsoft Office Live back in 2006, and they continue to renew it for me despite me not correcting a previous warning. Or even using the site I might add, I simply wanted to see how easy it was for them to provide free domains :)

And for a spooky coincidence, I registered that domain 3 years ago today.

Creation Date........ 2006-05-24
Registration Date.... 2006-05-24
Expiry Date.......... 2010-05-24

rusticdog
Members

Post by rusticdog » Mon May 25, 2009 7:01 am

DNC are idiots :) Considering I linked to this thread they obviously gave this very careful consideration. Give it 2 minutes of research and it would most certainly *not* appear to be registered correctly.

Good morning Chris

Thank you for your email. The domain name you mention appears to be correctly registered (record attached). If you believe that contact details provided are incorrect, then you should contact the registrar for the name, and ask for those details to be corrected. The registrar for this domain name is Aust Domains, their email address is help@austdomains.com.au, other contact details are on the attached record.

Regards

Josh Cookson
Domain Name Commission

rusticdog
Members

Post by rusticdog » Wed May 27, 2009 4:45 am

digidog wrote:It's far too easy for these Chinese scammers to set up NZ domains with
false registration details. I'd like to see a law change that allows the Police
and/or the Domain Name Commissioner have the power to order these
scam sites to be pulled within hours.

Would that be workable?
I guess that depends if they care ? If they do, why haven't they implemeted a policy already and been proactive to the problem.
ICANN doesn't set registration policy for ccTLDs, so it's up to DNC to work on theirs.
If I recall ICANN used to rely on the Registrars for accuracy as well until they realised this wasn't working and setup the Whois Data Problem Reporting System to mange the complaints.

At the very least I would have thought a central reporting system for NZ domains was feasible, and management of those complaints handled by DNC.

burnt_once
Members

Good News!

Post by burnt_once » Wed May 27, 2009 7:06 am

GOOD NEWS

Not sure how or when, but the message on the site reads:
This Account Has Been Suspended

A minor victory for us all :-P

rusticdog
Members

Post by rusticdog » Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 am

That is great news. They've shut down the other sites on that account as well.

ionet
Members

Post by ionet » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:09 am

_

It was interesting to see that Fair Go ran an article on these Scammers
in the past week reaching much the same conclusions as many here
have previously

Notable points from the program:

The ANZ Branch & Kiwibank branches in the Auckland suburb
have been opening new accounts used in these frauds based
on false identity documentation

Funds have been withdrawn from ATM machines without camera surveillance

Hostmonster featured as website site host

Domains were registered with false contact details

The Scammers went to great lengths to hide their identity & avoid tracing

Fair Go traced one Agent of the Scammer contingent who worked at a Auckland Local Body while orchestrating scams, & is now resident in Hamilton & have details of another involved in these scams

The Program also raised the point of Domain Registration neeing some authentication of the Domain Registrant would reduce or stop fraudsters registering domains in our .co.nz domain space.

The system of requiring Business Registration Number or ARBN as Australia uses has some merit and would get rid of a multitude of Domain Squatters & Other Scammers operating in the NZ Domain Arena, to the benefit of NZ Businesses & Individuals

M
Ultimate Auction Security: Kick 'em in the pants & sweep them under the carpet fast before anyone sees & hope they go away.

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

youcool.co.nz

Post by Foggyone » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 pm

This domain mentioned earlier in this thread.

Enquiry received today from someone wanting to know if we were aware of this crowd.

They also commented
youcool.co.nz offers DVDs, among other things, and they have neither a
phone-number nor street address. Only a PO Box in Motueka.

Email replies come from a gmail-account with sort of Asian spelling.
They don't accept creditcards (only PayPal and bank payments).
The payee on their ANZ account is : WEN (like the first name of
China's Premier).
The site itself still looks to be hawking knock off products.

Alf, you were discussing with Fair Go. Anything new after the above?
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Fair Go have done a small update reminding people to be aware of fakes,
but no major story at this stage.

Note that the P O Box has disappeared from the YouCool contact page. Their
mailing address is now unreachable:
Motueka, Nelson
Nelson
New Zealand 7143
That domain is still showing false registration details - some poor woman
in Cromwell.

The site's being hosted in the US.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Fake GHDs make the news again. This time a hairdressing school in
Christchurch has been stopped selling fakes they bought from China.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3291056 ... aighteners

nzconan
Members
First Name: Conan

Youcool.,Ltd

Post by nzconan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:45 am

Well they got me :-({|= ... the Ltd in their trade name, and I saw an address but didn't pick up till too late that it wasn't as full physical address...So lesson learnt.

They did deliver a DVD Set (poor quality, obvious bootleg out of China), I even returned it and gave them the benefit of the doubt... return address provided

KATE CHAI
PO BOX 24326
ROYAL OAK
AUCKLAND 1069
NEW ZEALAND

... so now we have Motueka, Cromwell, Onehunga and Royal Oak.

I did also like the fact their invoice has a GST No. 50-852-138 but no GST paid (Tax Nil).

Yes they did send a replacement after a week of following them up, and they tried denying receipt until we provided evidence (Track and Trace) of delivery.. they even included a Zumba DVD as a way of saying sorry ... problem is along with a Bootleged Zumba DVD they only resent the original poor quality bootleg set.

Happy to hand these pirate DVDs over to an appropriate authority (anyone help with advise on this) if they would take some action.

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

More Contacts

Post by Foggyone » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:06 am

Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

Phobia
Members

Re: How to spot a fake GHD straightener

Post by Phobia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:17 am

Hi all. Earlier this week I bought a set of GHD Dark Limited Edition straighteners through a website called GHDstraighteners.co.nz
They were about half the retail price & free shipping. I thought that sounded a little too good to be true but the prices were in NZ$ so I assumed free shipping because it's a local web address. They advertised a 30-day money back guarantee & 2 year manufacturers warranty.
At the time I did a Google search & could not find anything dodgy about them & their website looked pretty professional. About 4 hours after purchase I received a notification that my credit card transaction had been authorised.
Then I did a little more checking yesterday & found this forum. After reading the posts I realised I'd just bought fake GHDs so I scrambled to get the order cancelled before they shipped. I received no response to that e-mail & this morning got an e-mail from them saying they've just shipped the GHDs with a tracking number originating in China. This is AFTER I sent the e-mail asking for the order to be cancelled.
I e-mailed the payment gateway & asked for the charge to be reversed due to the site selling fake goods. No reply from them either.
I called Visa card services & the nice guy there told me that they couldn't do anything about it until the charge was finalised. He advised me to send the goods back by registered mail so I have proof of returned goods & then if they don't give me a refund Visa would pursue it.
I'm so disappointed & also feel really stupid about it. I don't expect any reply from them & doubt a refund will be forthcoming.
Also registered mail is expensive & I don't know if I can claim for that as well seeing as how I asked for the order to be cancelled before it was shipped.
I don't think I can take this to the police nor does the Fair Trading Act apply if the goods are coming from China.
If anyone has any advise on this I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:39 am

Hi Phobia and welcome to ScamBusters.

Unusually the domain GHDstraighteners.co.nz is registered to:
Lu Ren Jia
Nantan Lu 28 Hao
Beijing
CN

+86--13800138000
admin@aseew.com
In our experience the people behind this scam normally use fake NZ addresses.

From reading this thread you'll have noticed that the fake GHDs are poor quality
and usually break early. Your best bet in this case is to follow the advice from Visa,
return the goods via registered mail and claim a refund. Visa doesn't like merchants
who receive a high number of chargebacks which may affect the scammer's ability
to accept Visa payments in the future.

If you don't have a valid return address in China explain this to Visa and ask them
to obtain one from their client. The more cooperation you receive from Visa at this
stage, the better result you can expect.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Phobia
Members

Re: How to spot a fake GHD straightener

Post by Phobia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi again.
Well the fake GHDs arrived this week. The box was squashed & damaged but still looked like the real thing.
I opened it & checked out the serial numbers & hologram stickers. A friend at work bought a pair from a Rodney Wayne salon as a gift for his wife. He was going to buy them from the same website as me but luckily stopped just in time after I discovered it was a scam.
We compared the 2 sets of straighteners & the hologram / serial number sticker on his set was one flat sticker while the one on the fake set was a hologram sticker stuck over the top of the serial number sticker.
The fake straighteners had light scuff marks & the DVD that came with it looked copied.
The manuals were glossy & in colour.
The straighteners turned on & beeped when turned on & reached the right temperature.
That set comes with a hard shell carry case & the one I got looked cheap & badly stitched.
Plus it came with a free waterproof sports watch. Oh joy.
The packing slip was really dodgy!! It was from a company in Shanghai & stated that the item was a "Gift (dress)" to the value of NZ$350.
There was a mobile phone number on it with too many digits to be real but I called it anyway & got a very annoyed NZ lady telling me I had the wrong number.
I e-mailed the sellers many times over the next few days saying I want a refund & asking them to confirm the return address but no reply.
I packaged up the straighteners & sent them back to the address on the packing slip via registered post at the cost of $62! I hope the address isn't fake too.
I contacted Visa again & told them I couldn't get hold of the seller to get a refund & lodged a disputes claim. I told them that I'd sent the item back by registered post as advised by them. I asked if I could claim back return shipping costs since I could prove I asked for the order to be cancelled before it was shipped. They said they couldn't help me with that & it was between me & the seller. If I can't get hold of the seller to get a standard refund I don't see how I can get a return shipping refund. I'm still disputing that with them.
In the end I would only end up with a $80 refund after return shipping costs.
I am *so* wild about this!!! How could people be so dishonest??
I've definately learned from my mistake & will be far more careful buying stuff online. I hope my experience helps someone else too.