iPhone's - Anyone else smell something amiss?

Fake copies of Microsoft Office, operating systems, memory cards and flash drives, fake designer clothing... anything of that nature. At any given time TM offers thousands of fake itmes which breach their terms & conditions... and often do little about the problem. This is the place to discuss the issue.
Anna Sturm
Members
First Name: spankythebushpig

iPhone's - Anyone else smell something amiss?

Post by Anna Sturm » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:11 am

Just randomly browsing the website, I came across this auction,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/ ... 603510.htm

And this one,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/ ... 603694.htm

Lowest price on Price Spy is $1239 at Eking the rest are well over $1300. :-k

Don't get me wrong, I am new to this site. Although I've come across my fair share of scams and led many gentlemen/ladies(?) along (My favourite involving a free African Grey (We all know pairs retail for $12,000, right?) pair in the Great Barrier Island, but the birds had recently been relocated to London and needed to come back because they didn't like it there, but of course I wouldn't have to pay a cent until the birds were with me and then it all goes wrong, and the guys son is in an accident and I need to pay to get them out of quarantine.), but alas I make no judgement on the auctions above.

Although I find it highly suspicious, a new trader selling not one, but two 32GB iphone 4's with the same sob story, stolen photos and definately dodging questions like nothing else AND at $1 reserves. For someone needing the money so urgently that they have to sell two iPhones they just purchased, they sure don't want the money all that quick. Wouldn't it make more sense to state a low retail Buy Now? As I'm sure that would quickly get snapped up and they'd definately get almost all they'd paid for it if not all.

More importantly, they just purchased two iPhone 4's and did not bother to test them out or have a play-around at all before they realised they were having financial problems? I don't know about you, but I definately can't resist that urge to have a play around with electronics of that calibur to see what they can do.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm definately not convinced. And I'll feel sorry for the poor buggers that end up with them. I may do some more research on this and find out if theres anymore like this listed.

I've also done some research on line and found this:

http://micgadget.com/5629/iphone-4-knockoff-review/

Another shitty knock off not completely unlike the Flash Drives being sold that don't actually hold more than a few GB's of memory... :smt017

Pretty convincing Knock-Off too, eh? And I'm sure your everyday consumer wouldn't notice at all. Especially if the sellers were smart enough to include some sort of memory card or whatever these Knock-Offs come with. Even including the Apple icon too.

Meh, I'll leave it at this for now and see what you all think.

OH, and before I do leave to do some research, just wanted to throw this in as a point of discussion,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =334680244 (There's a link to the iPad knock off on the same site listed above if you wanna check it out)

I noticed you guys discussing this lady on other occassions and thought I'd check her out.
Hi, was looking at your ipad and was very keen to buy but then came across this " http://scambusters.co.nz/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3845 " if you scroll down, you'll find people have dealt with you before, and under multiple names, do you care to explain this? Thanks. annasturm (110 ) 8:25 pm, Mon 29 Nov
Hi, I really dont know what you are talking about, I couldnt access to that website, here is the message "Forbidden-You don't have permission to access /forum/viewtopic.php on this server.Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.". I dont have other name except this one and I have traded in TM since 2004, Im not new mate.Check out my feedback. Im a potential and honest seller. Cheers 5:04 am, Tue 30 Nov
I checked apple online shop and they sell for $1345? dharma_t (172 ) 3:18 pm, Tue 30 Nov
Ur better go there to buy.Thanks 3:33 pm, Tue 30 Nov
Don't know about you, but that link certainly works for me. Think they're up to their old tricks?

Sorry to add a lot of reading. >> Hope to hear from you guys. You guys are awesome and should definately keep up the good work. :smt006

Anna Sturm
Members

Re: iPhone's - Anyone else smell something amiss?

Post by Anna Sturm » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:27 am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/ ... 566761.htm

Possibly another? Has more than one in their listing and doesn't seem to keen to comfirm where it came from and whether or not it has a warrenty. Also has changed her mind about pick-up so maybe it has to be shipped from somewhere like hong kong maybe?

dobby
Members
First Name: Dobby

Post by dobby » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:33 am

I've CW'd the two iPhone listings and asked TM to check them out. They definitely look dodgy, and it's
likely to end in tears for someone. I see that there's 10 and 12 respective unanswered questions on
these auctions as well.

I hope that TM act quickly, given that they close in 20 hours.

Good spotting Anna.
Idealism increases in direct proportion to your distance from the problem.

Anna Sturm
Members

Post by Anna Sturm » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks. :D

I didn't know if I should CW them without a second perspective. I also noted the amount of questions that have been accumulating... They don't seem to be answering any since I questioned the phones authenticity...

I've contacted a few of the people that have been placing a lot of the bidding, just telling them if they buy it to check a reciept or something as the pictures would be misleading regardless of whether they add pictures of not so I think they've backed off. Some have no listings so I can't...

I think I'll look more into this fake iphone business. Makes me wonder how many people actually have them thinking they have a real iPhone. I think spending the extra few hundred at a proper store is definately worth the piece of mind.

To see if I can find anymore listings! Although, it's a little harder to judge with the older models which is a shame.

Anna Sturm
Members

Post by Anna Sturm » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:11 am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/ ... 686902.htm

Possibly another?

New trader named iPhone_4 (Convenient) with a "like" new iPhone and a three day quick sale? No receipt, won't use safe-trader. And like everyone who sells fake things does the ol' "You can check it on the website once you get it for authenticity"

Also selling another iphone,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... er=3621208

AS WELL, as other phones. The second may be authentic, but I'm definately not so sure about the first. Also is selling other phones. For someone claiming to need the cash, he sure has a lot of phones... ](*,)

Seems they let the first two auctions close - Guess I shouldn't have been so mean to TM's sensitive staff about the success fees... Meh. << Was able to email one buyer to get them to get proof of authenticity before any sort of payment is made, but looks as if poor scotty will have to find out for himself. Well, I hope he's smart enough to look at all the unanswered questions (Despite them logging on daily).

dobby
Members

Post by dobby » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:37 am

The 32G iPhone sold for $1,200. It seems that there were a number of users concerned about this sale. A few of the unanswered questions:
Question: Your pics is the marketing Adds can you post your own pics please patricktaleser (111 ) 10:26 pm, Tue 30 Nov
Question: u r a liar. u r selling 2 Iphone 4 at the same time? and using the same auction discription ? all selling on ur pasters behalf?! im reporting you man. good luck. path_f1nder (23 ) 10:39 pm, Tue 30 Nov
Question: i did report you . trademe will be contacting with u shortly. path_f1nder (23 ) 10:42 pm, Tue 30 Nov
Question: i asked the same question in ur other 16 GB auction,"has been jail broken? path_f1nder (22 ) 6:39 pm, Mon 29 Nov is unopened so no 8:18 pm, Mon 29 Nov . but this guy asking u "has it been unlocked?" u said yes??! . LOL u r an iphone NOOb, jailbreaking = unlocking . liar. path_f1nder (23 ) 10:44 pm, Tue 30 Nov
Question: when the warranty expired? cyber.import (2850 ) 11:47 pm, Tue 30 Nov
Seller did allow pickups, but I see the purchaser is based in Taupo.

dobby
Members

Post by dobby » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:42 am

Anna Sturm wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/ ... 686902.htm

Possibly another?

New trader named iPhone_4 (Convenient) with a "like" new iPhone and a three day quick sale? No receipt, won't use safe-trader. And like everyone who sells fake things does the ol' "You can check it on the website once you get it for authenticity.
This one appears to be a legitimate sale. TM have obviously asked for verification that he has the phone, given
the pictures taken with the newspaper.

Seller also expresses a preference to hand the phone over in person - fraudsters and sellers of fake phones are usually
firm on the 'no pickup' line. He even offers to deliver the phone in Hamilton or Auckland.

It does seem odd that he has so many phones listed at one time.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:24 am

He may be legit, but he does have FIVE phones for sale at the moment
included two (count 'em) iPhones, two Nokias and a Samsung. He claims
that at least three of the phones are his own.

And it looks like he's done an off-site deal for the iPhone 4 on this
auction:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/ ... 865760.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's looking dodgier by the minute. For the record:

trader: iphone_4
name: Smith (say what?)
loc'n: Tokoroa/Putaruru

Anna Sturm
Members

Post by Anna Sturm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:53 am

I found this guy too.

He may be legit, or he may just be selling fake ones for high prices.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/ ... 970980.htm

Don't really doubt the authenticity of the first one as it's a vodafone special, but the second one maybe? Just thought it strange how two different usernames had the same discription, so possibly the same person? Either ones fake, or the guy has extremely generous friends....

"Was given as a gift, though I already have a relatively new smartphone that has everything I need. "

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/ ... 158412.htm

What are your thoughts?

Anna Sturm
Members

Post by Anna Sturm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:59 am

Too bad trademe doesn't seem to much care about checking authenticity for most, I've seen quite a few the last few days, all were allowed to close. Most if not all, there was definately something amiss with.

dobby
Members

Post by dobby » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:48 pm

The two iPhone4 sales have completed with positive feedback left - this was for both of the iPhone listings.