Fraudster Operating On Trade me

Fake copies of Microsoft Office, operating systems, memory cards and flash drives, fake designer clothing... anything of that nature. At any given time TM offers thousands of fake itmes which breach their terms & conditions... and often do little about the problem. This is the place to discuss the issue.
sheddie
Members
First Name: Ian

Fraudster Operating On Trade me

Post by sheddie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:21 am

This fraudster is encouraging people to buy from him/her off the Trade Me site so the fraudulent sales are not actually anything to do with Trade Me.

I'm not sure how these frauds always start but it seems it is either via a phone call from a number picked up from questions asked of traders or by way of an email offer made direct to a trader by way of a question where an email address is made available.

Here is an actual email sent to a TradeMe member after they presumably responded to the fraudsters initial approach. All the information here is thought to be false. Certainly the address seems to be a random address not associated with the feedback that belongs to someone not at all involved. -

"Hi There, Here's the picture of the iPhone. It's unlocked for all networks. Not yet activated iOS7. Will work overseas also. Receipt and warranty papers provided. My driver licence number: DL919381 Car Number Plate: GUJ769 My TradeMe Feedback:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedba ... ber=XXXXXX Address: 67A Greenwood Road, Motueka Let me know what you think. If you would like it I can post it tomorrow if you're wanting to make a payment tonight Regards, Ian

Note that the feedback provided belongs to a legitimate trader and is just being 'borrowed' to convince the potential buyer that the seller is a genuine honest trader. Note also that the fraudster uses an on-line nickname and christian name similar or even the same as the legitimate traders whose feedback he borrows. He even sets up an email address similar to the genuine traders so it is easy to be duped.

I have heard of at least two people who have paid $750 for an iPhone and never received it and I know there have been quite a few others who have been approached to buy expensive phones.

The fraudster is pretending to be a legitimate trader by using someone elses feedback and then supplying false address details to convince the buyer that he/she is genuine. This fraud has been going on for several months now.

The matter had been reported to the Police but still seems to be continuing.

If someone offers an expensive product by way of some sort of cold call it will almost certainly be fraudulent. If you make a sale via Trade Me you are buying in a relatively safe environment but if you pass TradeMe and deal direct with someone you don't know you are exposing yourself to this and other fraudsters.

As you might have guessed by now - my identity and feed back on TradeMe is currently being used by ba fraudster to convince people to buy expensive non-existent smart phones. Sheddie on Trade Me

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

Re: Fraudster Operating On Trade me

Post by Foggyone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 am

How is payment being arranged? If into a NZ account then the crook is easily traced.

My guess is payment will be by Western Union (the scammers friend). The scammer could be almost anywhere in the world if that's the case. Has the feel of a classic iPhone scam without the need to list anything.
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

sheddie
Members
First Name: Ian

Re: Fraudster Operating On Trade me

Post by sheddie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:59 am

I am also wondering why this crook has not been caught because a bank account would be the first place to look. For whatever reason the Police have not stopped him as yet (as far as I know).