I've clicked on a phishing email - what should I do now?

Phishing scams, hijacking of TM accounts, keyloggers and all manner of other nasties. This is the place to report them and get help if you've been hit.
digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:00 pm

1. Rule one is DON'T CLICK ON ANY LINKS in emails that purport to come from TM. Unfortunately TradeMe are still including clickable links in their emails which makes users complacent and the scammers job a lot easier.

2. If you have mistakenly clicked on a link and given your login and password to a scammer, change your TM password immediately. Don't use any word you can find in a dictionary and preferably use a mix of upper and lower case letters. How to create strong passwords (Microsoft)

3. Send a copy of the email with full headers to abuse@trademe.co.nz with a copy to phishing@scambusters.co.nz please.
How to find headers in your email programme.

4. Check your TM account carefully for any auctions the scammer may have listed using your account. If you find any, withdraw them and ask TM politely for a fee refund.

5. If you have any ongoing concerns please start a thread here and you'll receive good advice.

chinaqt
Members

Post by chinaqt » Wed May 16, 2007 9:40 pm

People still falling for it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/Mess ... d=17390244

You've got to love this bit though
yah June :-)
(thanks for the lovely comments earlier too :-). The team at trademe are a lovely bunch :-) I've had a major stuff up (by me) fixed by them which was super lovely as I appreciate that it doesn't happen very often. Well done June- your typing fingers must be feeling relieved hehehe Oh by the way- I had that same phishing email yesterday too- had me and Vicki looking at it for a second or too until I hovered the mouse over the "click here" link and I could see the address it was directed to. The typing font was way off too but I have had some different emails from trademe before too so ya never know, good on you for reporting it to trademe (I didn't bother eek) :-)