Fraudulent e-Bay accounts

Phishing scams, hijacking of TM accounts, keyloggers and all manner of other nasties. This is the place to report them and get help if you've been hit.
Lace
Members
First Name: Robyn

Fraudulent e-Bay accounts

Post by Lace » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 pm

I received an e-mail 8/6/14 from eBay confirming my new account and saying i can change my password from the one they have provided. I have not made an account with these people .
I instantly placed the e-mail in the junk folder .. and came to your site to investigate what to do. I sent e-mails to numerous folk as suggested in here to do, from your list of eBay e-mail addresses.They all bounced back to me (failure to send) so have lodged a report with "theorb.org.nz "about the situation.
Am now getting e-mails from eBay regular that is annoying .Just would like to ask is there any other thing i could or should be doing to nip this in the bud as my pay pal account was hacked a while ago to the tune of over $500 with 3 different peoples sale's / purchases which i did recover ..
Thankyou in advance for any in put..

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Re: Fraudulent e-Bay accounts

Post by digidog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:02 am

Hi Robyn. It sounds like you're receiving spam emails from these people rather than genuine eBay emails. If that's the case, any attachment to the emails is likely to contain malware and/or keyloggers. If you're in doubt you should ask someone over on the eBay discussion boards. They'll have more experience of any eBay scams.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Discussion ... ct-p/12001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please let us know how you get on.

Lace
Members
First Name: Robyn

Re: Fraudulent e-Bay accounts

Post by Lace » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 am

Cheers and thanks for that Digidog..I did get an e-mail back from the ORB Scamwatch will paste it in here as it may help someone else.
Hi Robyn,

Thank you for your recent report to Scamwatch and the ORB.
This is definitely a scam. We have had many reports of these types of scams. They are sent out at random in the hope that people will reply with personal details​ and often ask for money to be sent as well.​ There is no indication that they have any details of your credit card or anything like that. Just ignore and delete the emails.
Consumer Affairs doesn’t have any investigative or enforcement powers. But we can help protect consumers by alerting them to the tell-tale signs of common scams. You’ll find more information on many types of scams at Scamwatch. You can also keep up-to-date with scam alerts at Scamwatch, or by following us on facebook or twitter.

Your personal details are confidential. However we may share details of your report with other agencies to help with the prevention of consumer fraud.

You can also help raise the awareness of your friends and contacts by humorously "scamming" them from the scam machine, an application built by NetSafe to help people understand different types of scams: scammachine

Once again, thank you for your report.
Kind regards,

Lee
Consumer Affairs and NetSafe