Scambaiting Forum - a suggestion to admin and all interested

Whether it's 419 scammers or Romanian gangsters, this is the forum to post your baiting exploits and trophies.
NZ Websites
Members
First Name: Bruce

Scambaiting Forum - a suggestion to admin and all interested

Post by NZ Websites » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:07 am

This is mostly directed at SB admin but it is for any SB thinking of using the scambait.com autobaiter system.

I can see huge potential for the autobaiting tool at scambait.com for those of us SB'ers who have the time, skills and the interest in playing these buggers.

For the purposes of this thread, and to save confusion, it may be useful to define the term "SB" as Scam Busters, and simply use scambait or scambait.com for scambait.

I am part way through writing an autobaiting script on scambait.com targeting our romanian friends. The first script will be directed at the cellphone scammers, and if that works we can modify it to use in other tm scenarios.

For any autobaiter script to work requires that the victim (scammer) doesn't suspect they are being played. It is therefore vital that any discussion on this topic not be publicly available.

I know that SB blocks IPs' from all the common scammer locations however they have the ability to work around this by logging on here by using various tricks, most commonly by using a proxy IP.

For this reason I suggest that this thread be "hidden" from the main SB forum thread menu and become a priate thread, with perhaps only some mention of there being a "Scambaiting" area which is available only upon request to the SB admin, or perhaps a thread moderator.

Perhaps SB admin could create a new user level, say "Scambaiters" and have this "Scambaiters" forum (including perhaps a suitable technical support thread) available only to SB admin and those with the "Scambaiter" level?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
Bruiser
Visit us for Low-Cost and Free website hosting, at www.webhostdirect.co.nz

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:31 am

Hi Bruce.

The thread you are reading is only available to registered members. As you
know we're very careful about who is allowed access to these forums. We
don't want any scammers getting beyond our front door and we remove a
number of undesirable signups every week.

We check and record every new member's IP address and remove any
members who are not from NZ or Australia, including anyone using proxy
servers. In theory an overseas scammer *could* find an open NZ proxy
server to gain access, but they're as scarce as hens' teeth these days. I
can't name one... can you?

While we support and applaud Sno and her team, our primary aim is in
identifying and removing scams from TradeMe and other NZ online auction
sites. Sites like scambait.com exist primarily for the purposes you discuss
and are probably better places to host those types of forum.

Please don't let me put anyone off scambaiting - it's just that it's a side
issue to most of the work we do here.

NZ Websites
Members
First Name: Bruce

Thanks, understood

Post by NZ Websites » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:17 am

Thanks Alf,

I appreciate the reassurance and agree that with those in place any further privacy would be overkill.

There are many SB'ers doing great work bringing scams and other naughtyness to the public, and TM's attention via this site.

Having said that, I believe there is already some interest in the scambaiting thread here, especially anything that targets our tm scammer friends, so with your approval I'll continue to post my findings and reports in the new scambaiting thread and perhaps create a new one to help any interested parties

I don't think its a good idea to use the scambait.com forums to specifically discuss tm issues? Are you ok with me setting up a tm autobait script area in the scambating forum here?

Cheers,
Bruce
Visit us for Low-Cost and Free website hosting, at www.webhostdirect.co.nz