Philatelic phakes

Shill bidding, contact details in auctions… anything that’s not a scam per se but breaches TM’s terms and conditions.
freddobar
Members

Philatelic phakes

Post by freddobar » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Not an expert on stamps but saw this auction by a trader called muddaman with interesting Q&As - 18c wool indrustry flaw mint block

Q&As in case it goes pop -
If this was a double blue print then the cylinder number "1" in the bottom selvege would be doubled - which it is not. It seems to me that none of the items you have for sale are what you say they are - and all are worth nothing! I think you should stop offering your silly stamps on TradeMe. Alan Craig MNZSDA. ascsd (292 ) 12:51 pm, Fri 19 Apr

Answer: all i have done is looked at the print, and clearly the stamps are double blue prints, i think because you do not have this item then you will try sully my auctions, please if you dont have a question then dont give me your opionion, leave a comment and let that be it... thanks alan craig MNZSDA who ever you are....???! 2:06 pm, Fri 19 Apr

Question: LOL, actually Alan Craig is highly regarded in the Philatelic industry and probably certifies all the genuine rare Philatelic Items that are sent down to the Royal Philatelic Society for examination by collectors, so unfortunately for you he does know what he is talking about in this situation, and is probably trying to protect buyer as well as integrity of the industry. Generally stamps to be worth the money you're asking for would have a major change, eg like totally missing picture or colour. loision (1092 ) 4:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr

Answer: ok i did not know, anyway the piece in question still looks the part so i will leave it up... as a double blue print mint block of six, and that is what the "bider" (if any) will recieve.. 5:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr

Question: Just because you have a plate block doesn't mean that this (like any of your other so-called rarities and pictures cut out of books) is the real thing when it comes to rarity. Suck a pity that you would try to dupe legitimate collectors, particularly those who may be new to the hobby. tatumfan (1092 ) 10:09 pm, Sun 21 Apr

Answer: say what? i really dont no why everyone feels they must give there 10c.... if anyone wants this piece then thats how much itll cost nothing more and please any cut outs i have sold have all been clearly marked and explained that they werent real stamps get off your sour puss and bid, or go home.... thanks.. 9:09 am, Mon 22 Apr
With 2 unanswered questions at the time of posting.

And a quick look through the traders feedback reveals previous issues - muddaman. I am surprised that anybody would risk trading in such items given their red feedback but there you have it.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Re: Philatelic phakes

Post by digidog » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Some of his red faces are for selling printouts and/or photocopies of stamps which he describes as "fillers" in the auctions. Surely that's fraud? Would any stamp collectors care to comment?

muddaman - Robert from Masterton
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedba ... er=3261068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:34 am

He's been discussed on TM Collectors Forum, in Stamp Club and other threads.
Unfortunately, TM MB rules prevent honest traders from warning unexperienced collectors.

This guy sells photocopies and cut-outs from books, and describes ordinary stamps as rare flawed items.

In philatelic world "filler" means lesser quality genuine stamp used to fill gap in album when collector can't afford or find better example.
This seller uses word "filler" to describe complete fakes.

He's been reported to TM many times.
http://www.oneway.co.nz/member/marika3

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:21 pm

NZ Stamps Dealers Association lodged a complaint with Trade Me on 21st April regarding this seller.

freddobar
Members

Post by freddobar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:46 am

marika3 wrote:NZ Stamps Dealers Association lodged a complaint with Trade Me on 21st April regarding this seller.
And TM do nothing as usual. Although I am sort of glad, I'm enjoying the Q&As.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 am

The muddaman "18c wool indrustry (sic) flaw mint block" auction closed with no bids on his $1,000 start = reserve. However Lois from Rotorua points out in the Q&A that he purchased this block of stamps on 31st March for just $7.55.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =575697705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not often you see such blatant lying on auctions. At least the stamp collection fraternity seem to have this Robert from Masterton in their sights... it's a pity that TM allow him to keep selling with such obviously poor feedback and for passing off photocopies as the real thing.

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:08 am

Actually, his "christchurch exhibition set copies" # 584530608 was withdrawn by TM this morning - blatant cutouts from a book.

marika3
Scambuster

Post by marika3 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:41 am

Looks like the seller is now disabled by TradeMe.