Malaysian Trademe/Paypal Car Scam

Current listings & scams on TradeMe - please post cases of fee avoidance or breach of TM rules (contact details) in the "minor transgressions" area - try to stick to the subject and feel free to start a new thread if appropriate.
glennb
Members
First Name: Glenn

Re: Malaysian Trademe/Paypal Car Scam

Post by glennb » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:05 am

Hey guys,
A couple of days ago i recieved a txt from 990 saying that i want to buy your car on Atuotrader please email on luciahart@outlook.com
so i did, the reply below/

"The Car is okay by me and i am also willing to go with your price. I would have called to discuss this but i am presently at Sea serving in the Navy and there's a restriction on phone calls here. I am buying it for my brother and i want it to be a surprise gift. I have a shipping agent who will come for the pick up. Unfortunately the agent cannot bring cash or pay on my behalf as he doesn't handle third party payments.

I am going to have to pay via Paypal which is a fast, safe and reliable method of payment. if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and set it up, after you have set it up I will only need you to send me a Paypal money request to my paypal email address ( sealife44@outlook.com ) so i can make payment.

Kind Regards,

I told him i wasn't born yesterday,
he told me to get lost!!

Be VERY careful with these scammers
Glenn

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks for posting those warnings Glenn, Vickie, Sam and Kim. It's always helpful to have a record of the email addresses etc that these scammers use. They get picked up by Google who check our forums every day and will hopefully serve to warn others being targetted in similar scams.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 am

A friend listed a car on TradeMe recently, and within two days she'd received FOUR scam emails following the templates commonly used in this type of scam. They're all oceanographers or other professions working offshore... they're buying the car for their son... and they insist on using (a fake) PayPal account. I was surprised at just how many scam emails she received. Here are the first three addresses.

Note: these addresses are used by scammers who target TradeMe car sellers.
Mark Owens <markowens923@gmail.com>
Elizabeth William <elizabethwilliam4real@gmail.com>
Abdullahi Azwan <mandopepe1020@gmail.com>
Robert Mclellan <rob.mclellan4wd@gmail.com>

That last one seemed almost genuine.
Hi,
I am Rob Mclellan,i want to buy your car to add up my stock,how much
is your last price for the car and what is it's present condition?,i
will make the payment through NZ bank deposit for a faster and safer
transaction and you will have your car money in full before pick up,

Also do you have a AA Inspection Report copy?,and the car present location?,

I hope to hear from you soon mate,

Thanks,
Rob
The name belongs to a genuine vehicle sales company in Dunedin. However that company has the following warning on their home page.

I'm still amazed that TradeMe allow visitors from Romania, Nigeria and other known dodgy countries. Until TM become good corporate citizens and restrict access to their site by IP address to prevent scammers even viewing listings, then this type of scam will continue unabated.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am

Here's another two addresses currently being used by car scammers on TradeMe listings.

reception - reception@stewartfoodservice.com
Dennis Vreenegoor - d_vreen@hotmail.com

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:09 am

It seems that anyone who lists a car on TradeMe gets targetted by these scammers. I have one listed at the moment and received this email.

Hello,

Is this your vehicle still available for sale?
When last are you service it?
Why are you selling it?
What is the condition?
Do you still have the original title?
What is your final asking price?
Kindly get back to me asap

Thanks.
I replied using a throwaway Gmail address and a few throwaway lines.
Hello Linda,

Thank you for your interest in my vehicle.

> Is this your vehicle still available for sale?

Yes.

> When last are you service it?

Approx 150km ago.

> Why are you selling it?

Because. Just because.

> What is the condition?

> Do you still have the original title?

Of course.

> What is your final asking price?

$21,500 (this was far above the actual asking price, to see if our scammer actually did his homework. He didn't.)

Let me know if you are interested.
Then the typical scam email came back.
Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it..I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, I wanted to buy this for my son who is study in USA, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area.But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal,I will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will get it to my son's location safely.

If my mode of payment is accepted kindly email me with the information below to proceed with the payment.

1) The pictures
2) What is the condition?
3) Are you the Original Owner?
4) Your PayPal Email Address
5) Your Picked Up Location Address

Get back to me with your address so i can forward to the shipping company to schedule an appointment with you for pick up. I have a private pick up agent that will come for the pick up after pay.
Time to pick up the pace.
Hi Linda,

May I call you "Linda". That's probably best as I'm unlikely to learn your real name.

Now here's the thing. The "oceanographer" scam is well known to all TradeMe users, so fake PayPal emails are just not going to work in this case. As stated on the auction, payment into a NZ bank account is the only method I will use. If you are happy to may payment into my NZ bank account just let me know and I'll send you the details.

Regards...
I think I may have scared off the scammer because he/she hasn't replied.

Kingwood11
Members
First Name: mike

Post by Kingwood11 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:59 pm

So listed my car on Trade Me on Monday night and received a txt a couple of hours later from +64 278043486 asking if the car was still for sale and email Tracy.hill@gmail.com. I emailed the address saying the car was still for sale. I received the following email back

"Hi

My name is Tracy Hill. I am pretty keen and I will like to know the final price for the Car. I want you to get back to me with more pictures and its current condition because I can't come over to view it. I am buying it locally here as a gift for my son that just graduated in Philippine.

I am Oil Rig Sub Sea Engineer for Shell here in New Zealand and due to the nature of my work, I am restricted to phone call. I can only communicate via email at the moment through my ipad.

You need not worry about how it will get to him there in the Philippine as I have a contact of a shipping company there that handle international shipping of merchandise worldwide

I know there are some documents to be signed and everything and I want you to know that the agent knows the step for that if a buyer is not available."

I thought it was unusual for some to want to buy a car and send it to the Philipines. We exchanged emails with questions being asked about how many owners and the condition of the car all is what is listed in the ad. She wanted more photos of the car which I provided. After more back and forth emails I received the confirmation email attached. She wanted things done urgently probably so I didn't get too suspicious.

"Ok, I just wanted to make sure nothing has been left out.

Thanks for the information, it was really of immense help.

I am happy to purchase it for my son at your asking price and do you have a PayPal account, as I will be paying with PayPal for our own protection,PayPal act as a neutral third party. it is safe, secure and reliable, and also due to the fact that I am currently offshore and I won't definitely be able to make it to the bank to wires the funds across to you. It is what safe and convenient for me. plz do check it out."

I have a PayPal account and sent a invoice to the email provided. I received several emails from service@paypal.com saying I had received the payment including the extra $1900 shipping to cover what I had to pay before my money was released. I noticed a couple of differences in the email from "PayPal" to one I received saying I sent an invoice. Instead of the two p's before the service name there was a S and there also was a registered logo next the the "service@paypal.com" email address where the actual one from PayPal there isn't. This raised some more red flags for me. I couldn't ring PayPal as it was after hours but I googled PayPal scams and came across this forum. Lucky for us we didn't loose any money but I think the saying if it seems to good to be true it probably is saved us. The PayPal emails are fake and the money wouldn't have been deposited in my account or if it was deposited it would have been using a stolen credit card so would have to have been refunded. I saw a NZ Herald article where someone shipped the car so lost the shipping money and their car. Pass this on to everyone who you know is selling a car on trade me to be aware of this scam.

Mike.

hykmann
Members
First Name: Jayden

Post by hykmann » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Very similar to the poster above me - was contacted by 'Tracy Hill' under the email traccy.hill@gmail.com (not the subtle difference of an extra 'c' from the email address above).

Fortunately I cottoned on just before sending an invoice via Paypal as her last email basically asked how she knew she could trust me, at which point I decided to do a quick Google search and see what I could find out about how legit she herself was (already being a bit suspicious, and a bit too-good-to-be-true). And very quickly found this thread, and a number of others, that confirmed my suspicions.

Such a shame and waste of time, but at least not a total disaster.

Keep the posts coming and information flowing! Very helpful to other auctioneers as well.

BlondeKiwi
Members
First Name: Michele

Post by BlondeKiwi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:00 am

I was contacted today by a Elizabeth William...elizabethwilliam4real@gmail.com regarding my TM car classified, they must have standard emails as mine are basically the same as everyone's I will share though so you can see

email 1
Why are you selling it?
What is the condition?
Do you still have the original title?
Kindly get back to me asap

Email 2
Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that it's
in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it..I'm ready
to pay your asking price and to be honest, I wanted to buy this for my
son who is study in Kansas, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and
i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving
any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack
of reception on the sea area.But I'm able to access email anytime as
we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is
PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting
this transaction to be done via PayPal,I will be responsible for all
the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an
account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one.
Just log on to http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast
as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears
and they will get it to my son's location safely.

If my mode of payment is accepted kindly email me with the information
below to proceed with the payment.

1) The pictures
2) What is the condition?
3) Are you the Original Owner?
4) Your PayPal Email Address
5) Your Picked Up Location Address

Get back to me with your address so i can forward to the shipping
company to schedule an appointment with you for pick up. I have a
private pick up agent that will come for the pick up after pay.

Email 3
I got your message and am very happy for your concern..My shipping
agent will do all the necessary work on it as soon they arrive to your
location for the pickup..ok..so kindly get back to me with your paypal
account email address and your contact home address for the
pickup..ok.

I find this so annoying as I did think it was a genuine buyer, between the Tyre kickers, people whom have contacted me re my spelling, the green eyed, armchair tall poppies and now scammers, this is not a great experience :smt013

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:52 am

BlondeKiwi wrote:I find this so annoying as I did think it was a genuine buyer, between the Tyre kickers, people whom have contacted me re my spelling, the green eyed, armchair tall poppies and now scammers, this is not a great experience :smt013
I agree that it tends to sour the TradeMe selling experience Michele. It would be a trivial matter for TM to exclude surfers from known scam countries, like Nigeria, Romania and so forth. TM's reason for not doing this is never announced, but I suspect it allows them to claim many times more page views than would be the case if they enforced their own rule and genuinely restricted buyers to NZ and AU.

And I'm surprised that the scammers are still using the old oceanographer ruse. That surely is getting a little tired by now?

doristhechicken
Members
First Name: Doris

Post by doristhechicken » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi
Had another one these from a different email. I already notified gmail but apparently they don't shut down the email accounts. Posting here hoping people Google the name or email before falling for the scam.
Jordan David davidzq05@gmail.com

Thanks for your mail and am satisfy with the add and the listed price, I am ready to buy it now for my daughter as a surprise promise gift,And due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule.Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) Are you the Owner?
2) Pick up Location?
3) Your PayPal Email ID to effect the payment
4) Asking price once again for confirmation?

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal ID. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your PayPal ID and total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply!

Thanks and God bless
From
Jordan David.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:25 am

It seems that vehicle scams are not only targeting sellers. The Wairarapa Times-Age reports that a local man narrowly avoided being ripped off for $16,500 on TradeMe when he responded to a listing for a food caravan. Luckily he was smart enough to do his research and learned that the bank account details were for an overseas account and that the Wanaka address of the seller did not exist on Google Maps.

Naturally TradeMe have since hidden the listing. They don't want the punters to know about the scams they knowingly allow on their site, now would they? Why TM continue to allow scammers from dodgy countries to register and list on their site is anyone's guess. I guess any click is important, huh? Even if it does result in kiwi members being ripped off, sometimes to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Shame on you TM. This would be easily fixed by banning IP addresses from known scam territories. It's time to get your act together.

digidog
Site Admin

elizabethwilliam4love@gmail.com

Post by digidog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 pm

These scammers don't waste any time. I listed a car last night and within three hours the first scam email arrived.

I sensed a scam and pointed out the the closing time of the auction was two weeks away. Sure enough...
Why are you selling it?
What is the condition?
This one received a short shrift. Here's my response.
Wait... don't tell me. You're an oceanographer, aren't you.
Please f*** off and scam someone else. Fool!
While I'm experienced in spotting these scams, not every TradeMe user will be aware of them. It annoys me that TradeMe allow these people free access to their site when a simple IP block system would save their users a lot of hassle.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:38 pm

It's become obvious that these car scammers are scanning all new TM listings for vehicles looking for email addresses. I relisted the car mentioned above and within a few hours received a familiar email from W E <elizabethwilliam4love@gmail.com> who is already over-represented in this thread.
That deserved a response, from a throwaway email address naturally.
Sorry. It's already been sold for an enormous amount of money to one of your fellow scammers who is also an oceanographer. Now isn't that a coincidence!

Have you ever considered getting an honest job?
Honestly TradeMe, isn't it time you took a serious look at this problem and consider banning IP addresses from the dodgier countries. It will NOT affect your business in any way or form, and you'd be doing honest New Zealanders a big favour by excluding these bottom-feeders from your site.

joebigfoot
Members
First Name: Joe

Post by joebigfoot » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:24 am

THIS IS PART OF CORRESPONDENCE WITH SOMEONE WHO CALLS THEMSELVES FAITH MILLER.. SHE APPARENTLY WORKS OFFSHORE.. WATCH OUT !!!
I have just completed the payment and i expected PayPal to have notified you to this effect.check your mail folders either your (inbox,spam or junk) i sent $15,950 in all.i added $1450 but $1350 will be sent to my agent in CHINA through western union at post office,the extra $100 is to cover the western union fee. PayPal said they will not release the fund until you email them the western union detail for verification,and also to enable my pick up agent to come for pick up and inspection.Here is the agent's details where the money will be sent.

First Name: GANG
Last Name: WANG
Address: Jiangxi gongzi jintai lu
City: Jian
State: Jiangxi
Zip Code:343900

Please get the necessary details sent to PayPal (Money Transfer Control Number) MTCN and senders name and address used to send the $1350 so that they can release the whole fund into your account.Please get back to me once done.
Thanks.

gk130
Members
First Name: Gun

Post by gk130 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:47 am

Thanks all for sharing the info. Prevented us from wasting our time. Below is the latest version. Received fresh this morning....
Keep safe.

" Thanks for responding, this is Paul Duxfield. I believe my son sent you a text message to email me for the sale. i’m interested in buying this from you now off trademe for my son who is overseas(Dubai). i want you to get back to me with its current condition,more pictures and your final price as i am looking for a decent bargain. I am at sea at the moment,i am an Marine biologist ( i work on tasman sea off the coast of australia ) and due to the nature of my work, phone calls is restricted. my son checked your advert and sent you a text to contact me via my email address .
Arrangements will be made to have this picked up from you after we have paid and all necessary registration/paperwork will be handled as well before pick up.

Regards "