Is this a scam? iPhone 6S

Current listings & scams on TradeMe - please post cases of fee avoidance or breach of TM rules (contact details) in the "minor transgressions" area - try to stick to the subject and feel free to start a new thread if appropriate.
spryte1970
Members
First Name: Phil

Is this a scam? iPhone 6S

Post by spryte1970 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:38 am

Hi,

My daughter would like to buy an iPhone 6S from this TradeMe auction. I have told her that it seems too good to be true ($1000 buy now for a phone that retails for $1599) but I would welcome anyone's advice.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1000094128

My key concerns are the very low price, the quantity available (on this and other auctions), the delay in delivery, and that no pick-ups are allowed.

Thanks in advance.

AUTOGRAPHMAN
Members
First Name: David

Re: Is this a scam? iPhone 6S

Post by AUTOGRAPHMAN » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:54 am

I struggle to understand how you sell for $1,000 as you say when they retail for over $600 more.The buy in bulk thing does not convince me as I know someone who works for a retailer who buys in bulk and they cannot get them for $1,000. My gut says it's too good to be true and the fact there is no delivery until January is a massive red flag.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:02 pm

We had a similar case a few years back where someone thought they'd found a source of cheap iPhones, took the money in advance and sent most of it offshore. There were no iPhones and a lot of people were ripped off as a result.

TradeMe (on paper at least) do not allow items like this to be listed when the seller doesn't have them in their possession. Please report all of the iPhone listings and TM will pull the auctions.

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

Post by Foggyone » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:38 am

The listing is kaput!
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

spryte1970
Members

Post by spryte1970 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes the auction in link above seems to have been removed. However, here is a link to their other auctions for similar products.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... er=3257565

Does anyone knbow what would happen to the people who bought using a Buy-Now on these auctions?

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:25 am

spryte1970 wrote:Yes the auction in link above seems to have been removed. However, here is a link to their other auctions for similar products.
Two of the iPhone auctions were withdrawn by TM, while this one was withdrawn by the seller, no doubt after TM had a word with him.
spryte1970 wrote:Does anyone knbow what would happen to the people who bought using a Buy-Now on these auctions?
In an ideal world TM would send out warning emails. But in reality, there's every chance the transactions will proceed.

For the record...
trader: cpuman
name: Jamie
loc'n: Hamilton

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Feedba ... er=3257565

spryte1970
Members

Post by spryte1970 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks to everyone who has helped me.

All of the auctions have now been removed but there has been no contact from TradeMe to explain what to do with a Buy-Now purchase.

Great site and community.

Merry Christmas.