Microsoft - Again!!

Nigerian scams, chain letters, pyramid schemes and anything not auction related.
digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Re: Microsoft - Again!!

Post by digidog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Cisco is warning of scam emails offering Win10 upgrades which actually install ransomware on your computer. The rule is, if you want to install Win10 then do it via Windows Update. And never click on a link in one of these emails.

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

Post by Foggyone » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:57 pm

If you're concerned about the spyware that is Windows 10, and you didn't take the trouble to go through all the screens and set up when you installed (and apparently there are other privacy things not covered by the set up) then there is good news.

Stop Windows 10 spying dead in its tracks with one free app!

This is a German site, but the link given devolves to their English page. The list of current features is mind bogling. Obviously the private user wouldn't disable everything, but there is plenty that should be disabled.
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:32 am

Most Win10 reviews have been positive and if you're stuck with the childlike brightly-coloured tiles that front Windows 8, upgrading to v10 might be an option. But I want my operating system to be stable, professional and easy to use. Win7 Pro fills the role nicely, so I'm not going to upgrade any of my computers to Win10 yet. As with any new Windows OS it's usually safest to wait until all the bugs have been ironed out and Service Pack 1 has been issued. Users have until July 2016 to choose a free upgrade.

However those in-built spyware "features" which Foggy outlines above are highly intrusive and any user would be well advised to shut off Microsoft's default permissions which allow the company to do whatever they like with your personal data. There's the utility Foggy links to in the post above, and as usual the web is full of good advice. Here's some more.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07 ... -settings/
http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-up ... o-opt-out/

Foggyone
Site Admin

Post by Foggyone » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks Digidog.

The first "service pack" has been issued, and has caused endless loop/crashes for a few. If it happens to you, you don't care if it's rare!

Windows 10 cumulative update causes 'reboot loop' havoc for some users

I'm a "feeling smug" Linux user!!

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Here's another new Windows feature -- Win10 automatically spies on your kids. This obviously only applies to those people who have signed up for a Microsoft family account.
Kirk writes, "This weekend we upgraded my 14-year-old son's laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Today I got a creepy-ass email from Microsoft titled 'Weekly activity report for [my kid]', including which websites he's visited, how many hours per day he's used it, and how many minutes he used each of his favorite apps."

I don't want this. I have no desire to spy on my boy. I fixed it by going into my Microsoft account's website, hitting the "Family" section, then turning off "Email weekly reports to me" and "Activity reporting".

OK, I admit that the timing might be coincidental but that would be one hell of a coincidence. I've never seen anything like this until we upgraded to Windows 10, and then I got the spy report the following business day.

A message to young readers: if you have Windows 10 now, your parents might be getting the same kind of report I did. Don't assume your own computer has your back.
What a weird and creepy service to implement without even consulting users.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:18 am

Are you getting annoying by Microsoft's endless nagging about upgrading to Win10? The culprit is update KB3035583 and here's how to stop it.

Warning: there's some registry editing involved so if you're not comfortable tinkering under the bonnet, it's best to look away now.

A great how to:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wind ... emove.html
Note: this set of instructions refers to six GWX entries in the registry -- I found eleven!

Further info:
http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do- ... tion-tray/

And the next time you update Windows, look for KB3035583 in the update list, right click and select 'hide update'.

Foggyone
Site Admin

Post by Foggyone » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:42 am

For some unknown reason Microsoft are against turning off the spying. I can see why, they intend to sell you, the user, as their product.

The blogishere is alive with comments that Microsoft are just doing what Google does. My feeling is an operating system is immensely different to a search engine. It's much more difficult to switch OS's, a new search engine is just a click away.

Want a non spying search engine (not Bing, thats part of the Microsoft behemoth), have a look at DuckDuckGo. I use Google as the results are more comprehensive, but I use other methods to limit Googles oversight of me.

Foggyone
Site Admin

Post by Foggyone » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Here is an interesting article in how Microsoft is implicated in in hacks and breaches.

http://techrights.org/2015/08/24/windows-hidden-cost/

Follow the links in the article for the inside poop on numerous stories.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:08 pm

The Register has an excellent review of Windows 10. The writer bemoans Microsoft's insistence on reporting everything you do back to base and the lack of control users have with the default setup. Here's his summary.
It's good enough to use if you have to. It's definitely a step up from Windows 8. But if you have Windows 7 there's no sane reason to move to Windows 10 as, ultimately, Windows 7 is still better.

If you don't use VPNs except to very new servers, you trust Microsoft enough to let them force updates on you, and you're okay with the digital creepy doll shouting everything you do back to the mothership, then Windows 10 is good enough.

Windows 10: it's only a little bit crap. And really, that's better than we could have hoped for.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:22 pm

The Independent reports that from next year Microsoft will sneak Windows 10 onto all computers without users' knowledge. Fortunately for those of us who prefer to stick with a slightly less intrusive OS (like Win7) there is a fix. Here's the full instructions as well as a little downloadable registry hack.

Foggyone
Site Admin

Conficker Risen From The Dead

Post by Foggyone » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:34 pm

Conficker malware which appeared to have been abandoned some time ago is now well and active again.
Conficker was the most common malware used to attack UK and international organisations in October, accounting for 20 per cent of all attacks globally, according to security vendor Check Point.

When it first appeared in November 2008, the Windows-affecting Conficker worm caused all manner of problems mainly because of its ability to spread across networks, infect windows machines and brute force passwords.

Networks of the French Navy, the UK House of Commons and Greater Manchester Police were all laid low by the malware. Its recent resurgence hasn’t caused anything like the same amounts of problems but still highlights the generally poor state of corporate security.

The return of the worm has seen the reported infection of police body cameras. Cameras from supplier Martel Electronics came pre-infected with the malware, according to researchers at Florida-based iPower.
Read more here!

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:45 pm

True to their promise, MS will be forcing Win10 upgrades onto all users this year. The Register has a handy pair of registry hacks to prevent Win10 from infecting your computer. You'll need to be comfortable with running Regedit to apply these fixes.

Foggyone
Site Admin

Post by Foggyone » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Surface power cords are a fire or shock risk in certain circumstances, and are the subject of a recall.

Read the details here.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:05 am

According to this Register story Win10 sales have been flat to disappointing. While some users are turning to tablets and smartphones, the comments on this story suggest many users are being turned off by the report back to MS "enhancements" built-in to Win10.

Those of you who have so far resisted "upgrading" to Win10 will realise that MS has been making resistance more difficult lately. You can hide those GWX (Get Win 10) updates as much as you like, but MS sneak the damn things back in with every Windows Update as "important" updates. This is not a pleasant way for your operating system vendor to behave. Fortunately there's a tiny open-source programme which takes care of much of the MS nonsense, including permanently blocking the nastier updates.

Destroy Windows Spying
http://dws.wzor.net/

Disclaimer
While I've been using this software without any problems, you should make your own decision on its likely safety and as usual, always make sure you keep regular backups of your work.

digidog
Site Admin

Free utility - banish Win10 upgrade

Post by digidog » Wed May 25, 2016 5:50 am

Free utilities - banish Win10 upgrade

I seriously recommend this handy little utility which removes the GWX (Get Windows Ten) malware MS secretes on your system and, if neccessary, removes all of the Win10 files which MS sneaks onto your system when you're not watching. This one is so simple even your Grandma could use it.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

This tidy little utility comes from noted security researcher Steve Gibson... and it works.

Win10wiwiw
Here's another one which is also very easy to use. This one has the bonus of removing some "tracking" files which MS helpfully loads onto your system.
http://www.win10wiwi.com/