Adaptation of ScamChecker

Nigerian scams, chain letters, pyramid schemes and anything not auction related.
rusticdog
Members

Adaptation of ScamChecker

Post by rusticdog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:47 am

So I've had http://www.scamchecker.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; running for a while, it consistently hits 20-40 uniques a day, 35,000 in total since I started it, and I think it's served the purpose of educating people on warning signs. However, it was only aimed at Chinese based scams which focused on non-delivery of goods and selling counterfeit products.

I wonder if it's worth taking that base template and creating a version that is more centred on the kinds of scams NZ are being exposed to.

I'm essentially thinking the same kind of checklist/checkbox system like http://scamchecker.net/website-scam-checklist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But the most immediate issue that stands out is catering to the sheer variety on the kinds of scams without having some convoluted system where users have to make too many choices.

Any thoughts if it's worth the effort ?

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:22 am

I think it's a great idea Chris. The trouble is, the people who typically get taken
in by this type of scam are the last ones to use any form of online checker. It
almost requires a different approach. How about...

1. How stupid are you?
a) Just a bit stupid
b) Really stupid
c) My parents gave me a lobotomy and called me Bozo

When common sense just doesn't kick in like it should, it'll be hard to reach the
people who need this service the most.

rusticdog
Members

Re: Adaptation of ScamChecker

Post by rusticdog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 am

Quite right, I suppose having more information out there couldn't hurt. But there's a stack of information out there to indicate common scams, yet people still fail to see.

In the example of the $32k http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4 ... efund-scam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I doubt there was any chance you could reach that kind of person. If it took the daughter establishing power of attorney, that seems to imply even when confronted the victim refused to believe it was a scam.

I could prototype a rough list, and just see how that looks and reacts.

dobby
Members
First Name: Dobby

Post by dobby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:16 am

You might want to update some of the PayPal references - given the number of PayPal based car/boat
type scams circulating at the moment.

Based on the info on your site, a buyer's willingness to pay by PayPal might suggest that they're legit.

I agree though - nothing will save the terminally stupid people. ;-)
Idealism increases in direct proportion to your distance from the problem.

rusticdog
Members

Post by rusticdog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 am

dobby wrote:You might want to update some of the PayPal references - given the number of PayPal based car/boat
type scams circulating at the moment.

Based on the info on your site, a buyer's willingness to pay by PayPal might suggest that they're legit.

I agree though - nothing will save the terminally stupid people. ;-)

It would be a full rewrite of all the criteria. In the context of these scammy Chinese sites, PayPal is relatively safe, though the whole weighted system was always heavily underdone anyway. So I'd be inclined to make this much more aggressive than the existing.

rusticdog
Members

Post by rusticdog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:35 am

I've got a rough setup working now here http://scamchecker.net/website-scam-checklist2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can only visit via the direct link, there's no menu option for this particular list.

The hover help isn't accurate, it's currently using placeholder text from the previous checklist. Any thoughts welcome if it's worth pursuing further.

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:12 pm

I think it's worth pursuing Chris. But the main problem to me is still how do you reach
potential victims who are not technically minded? They're the ones who are most likely
to fall victim to these scams.

How about a deal with the Citizen's Advice Bureau? Providing it was well publicised,
anyone could go in to check on a scam using your site. Or maybe sponsored kiosks in
shopping malls?

It's the people who don't use the net who really need your service.

rusticdog
Members

Post by rusticdog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 am

All I think you can really do is present the site in the manner you think it needs to be, if it's good enough and stands up to criticism given it's novelty factor, then opportunities would present themselves.

I need to add more criteria for job scams as well, such as http://www.votemenot.co.nz/thread/58218 ... oney-scam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rusticdog
Members

Post by rusticdog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:14 am

Partner just got another small web contract, so I'll have to wait until she's got time. I'm currently using the Etomite CMS which isn't ideal for the likes of me, and want to migrate the code to WordPress given how well that's supported by web hosts.