Will you be my friend?

Nigerian scams, chain letters, pyramid schemes and anything not auction related.
digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Will you be my friend?

Post by digidog » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm sure that most people receive occasional emails asking them to join someone's social network or become
their special friend on some obscure site or another. I get grumpy when it's someone I've never heard of and
assume that they've bought my email address from a spam list in order to increase the number of virtual
"friends" they can claim. Some people lead very sad lives and I usually just report these emails to SpamCop
then delete them.

This morning I received a spam from one "Juana Atkins" - email juana.atkins@gmail.com (for any email
scrapers that may be passing). Here's the text.
I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

- Juana

Juana Atkins
Owner at Cadlow Mural World
New Zealand
Innocuous enough? Maybe, but I don't know this woman and I have no desire to be her new friend. So who is she?

Her company - cadlow.co.nz - sells bespoke stick-on murals. Fair enough. They look a bit tacky and they're not to
my taste, but each to his own. A quick Google search shows she's a TradeMe seller called "Cadlow":
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=795609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Picking an example product - Manhattan Lights Wall Mural Wallpaper New York - an image that includes the twin
towers, Juana sells this for $NZ245.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renov ... 288691.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can pick up the same product directly from the US for only $US80 - $NZ102.50. That's a huge markup.
http://www.decorplace.com/city-wall-mur ... an-lights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a message on each of her auctions saying the business isn't working well so she's had to go back to work
and only services auctions in the evenings. Hey... the recession has hit a lot of people so I wouldn't hold that
against her. But then I notice the little line on every auction...
This auction was listed by OMINS
Damn! Knowing how this company's servers have been used to send spam in the past, I start wondering if SnipeSoft
is somehow behind this latest spam? I don't recall ever buying tacky wall murals from this woman so she's not likely
to have got my email address from a trade. But I have dealt with other Snipesoft clients and ended up on their
database. Is it possible that Snipesoft are offering a discreet service that enables their clients to spam a lot of
instant "new friends" with one click? How else would she have got my email address?

I did consider laying a complaint with the government Anti-Spam unit until further down the Google search I learn that
she's married to the infamous Whaleoil - Cameron Slater.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/mental-health ... d=10648347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Following Slater's trials for breaching name suppression they lost their house last year, plus her business is going tits-up.
I decide that being tied to Slater must be punishment enough for any person, so I report her to SpamCop and delete the
email. Have a nice day Juana!

digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Post by digidog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:30 am

Merely deleting the invitation hasn't solved the problem. I'm now getting annoying "reminders" from Linkedin that I really
do need to pay attention to Juana's invitation. So let's go directly to the source.
Hi Juana,

You don't know me and I don't know you. But you entered my email address on LinkedIn the other day and asked
me to be your friend. I ignored it. Now I'm getting annoying reminders from LinkedIn.

Can I politely ask two question please?

1) Where did you get my email address?

2) Why do you want me to be your friend?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,