Herald reveals winners of "The Block" - spoiler!

Nigerian scams, chain letters, pyramid schemes and anything not auction related.
digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Herald reveals winners of "The Block" - spoiler!

Post by digidog » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Caution: spoiler below!

O'K... I confess. I've watched every episode of TV3's "The Block" so far. I know deep down that this is cheap tele... lowest denominator
pap for the masses. But even though the endless repetition of plot lines may tire many people, I'm fascinated by just how far unrestrained
product placement can be pushed on New Zealand television.

"Off you all go to Bunnings... and don't forget to shoot a big closeup of the Pressie card."

"Let's all nip down to Wild Bean Cafe..."

"Just a moment... I'll fire up a clunky KiwiBank page that looks like it's designed for pre-schoolers and performs just like a basic calculator."

We've even heard audio overdubs from the contestants to make sure they get the commercial message word perfect to satisfy the sponsors. For
a lot of people, this programme must serve as an example of just how bad our TV has become. The show is apparently rating and still has weeks
to run... but today the Herald on Sunday comitted a cardinal sin - they blew the big secret and outed the eventual winners.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=10824612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's like revealing the winner of "NZ's got no Talent" or "Masterchef" a few weeks in advance. The author might be forgiven - he's a property
developer who presumably moves in circles where these things are discussed over lavish dinners. But surely the Herald photo editor should have
known better than to provide a caption saying "The Block winners"?

TV3 will not be happy!