Nicky Hager Legal Fund

Nigerian scams, chain letters, pyramid schemes and anything not auction related.
digidog
Site Admin
First Name: Alfie

Nicky Hager Legal Fund

Post by digidog » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:22 pm

If, like me, you find the Police raid on Nicky Hager's home and subsequent ten hour search by five officers to be extremely offensive in our democracy, you may want to donate something to his legal fund. All money donated goes directly to Hager to fund his legal costs.

https://www.givealittle.co.nz/cause/NickyHager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Herald has an appropriate cartoon.

And here's Hager's statement on the event.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1410/S ... operty.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foggyone
Site Admin
First Name: Peter

Re: Nicky Hager Legal Fund

Post by Foggyone » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:21 pm

I take an alternate view to this.

Nicky Hager based his book on the proceeds of crime (the hacking and stealing of Whaleoil's emails). Nicky Hager has acknowleged that he was aware from the outset that this information had been obtained criminally. I believe the Police were acting as I would expect them to act if my property had been stolen, and they were aware that someone had knowledge of the crime.

Sorry, Nicky Hager doesn't get a cent from me (and neither does Whaleoil). This whole Dirty Politics matter is shot so full of actions by unknown players, any light that can be shone on who tried to hijack a general election in New Zealand should be welcomed.

I would expect the Police actions to be carefully scutinised to ensure that they are acting within the law. Lawbreaking is lawbreaking, no matter the shade of politics.
Google, the answer to so many questions!
-----------------------------------------------------

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Foggyone wrote:I take an alternate view to this.
Hager's 'Dirty Politics' reveals a dirty unbelly to the National Party which would chill most thinking people. Those who decry the book the loudest tend not to have read it, relying instead on statements from the guilty group that "it's all lies" or "everybody does it." Psychologists describe this as "cognitive dissonance" - the discomfort felt by people when confronted by new information which conflicts with their existing beliefs, ideas, or values. "I've voted National all my life and I don't believe that our Johnny could be that evil."

Anyone with an open mind may want to take a look at Andrew Geddis' summary of the facts, noting especially his statement that Hager has broken no laws. Geddis lectures in law at Otago University.
http://www.pundit.co.nz/content/the-cas ... icky-hager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a healthy discussion on Russell Brown's blog called "Doing over the witness".
http://publicaddress.net/hardnews/doing ... e-witness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course anyone is entitled to hold a conflicting view. If you believe that our Police force should be used as an instrument of intimidation, then carry on with your comfortable life and pretend that none of this is happening in our democracy. If, like me, you feel strongly that whistleblowers deserve some form of protection in a healthy society when their revelations are so obviously in the public interest, then please... at least give the matter some thought.

The Hager legal fund currently stands at $42,186.00.

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:24 pm

San Francisco based 'Freedom of the Press Foundation' which supports transparency and accountability has opened an international appeal for Hager's legal defence. In the first 24 hours they've raised $US12,683.00.

https://freedom.press/bundle/nicky-hager-legal-defense" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

digidog
Site Admin

Post by digidog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:22 pm

It's time for an update on the Nicky Hager v Dirty Politics case. The Givealittle appeal raised $65,810.00 while the US Freedom of the Press appeal a further $US28,524.25.

You'll recall that police raided Hager’s house in October, despite the fact that he was not considered to be guilty of any crime. Hager asserted journalistic privilege, meaning all evidence gathered in the ten hour search must be sealed until a court determines the legality of the action. However police effectively ignored the law and accessed much of that information. Hager sought a judicial review of the raid which played out in the Wellington High Court last week. Justice Clifford reserved his judgment, which is likely to take several weeks.

I realise that not everyone supports Hager's exposé of dirty tricks within the National Party. I'd guess the line divides roughly along party lines -- National supporters vs everyone else. But regardless of your politics, this case raises important issues about press freedom in New Zealand, and that affects all of us who support the basic principles of democracy.

Wellington blogger Giovanni Tiso sums up the court action in The Life and Death of the Political Author.